We have received several inquiries from community members concerned about the separation of immigrant families at the border. In response, we have put together the following list of action items:
- Urge them to decrease the funding for immigration and customs enforcement and Customs and Border Protection that enables the administration’s family separation practices
- Urge Policy Makers to Support:
- H.R. 2572 (Protect Family Values at the Border Act)
- H.R. 5950/S.2937 (the HELP Separated Children Act)
- H.R. 2043/S. 2468 (Fair Day in Court for Kids Act of 2018)
Freedom for Immigrants is a non-profit based out of California that provides the following volunteer opportunities:
- Participating in their community visitation program
- Answer hotline calls from people in immigration detention
- Becoming a Pen-Pal and connecting with people in immigration detention centers who do not have visitors and provide them hope and connection to the outside world.
- Hosting immigrants who are eligible for release
For Attorneys, Translators, & Paralegals: Volunteer at:
- CARA Family Detention Project: Volunteer at Dilley Pro Bono and help immigrants detained in the South Texas Family Residential Center (STFRC) and the Karnes Residential Center.
- The Texas Civil Rights Project: The Texas Civil Rights projects is looking for people who speak Spanish to help translate for families and their children who have been separated, as well as volunteers to help with the legal intake process.