Closed for the Holidays

All of us at the North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic send the warmest holiday wishes and an abundance of happiness, health, and peace to all.  We are fortunate to have dedicated staff who work hard throughout the year. They will be taking some downtime to rest, recharge, and refresh. The Clinic will be closed from December 24 – January 2. We will re-open on January 3, 2022.


In case of an emergency, please call 911. If you need confidential domestic violence-related assistance, please be in touch with our partner, A Safe Place at (847) 731-7165 or the 24-Hour Crisis Line: (847) 249-4450 or 1-800-600-SAFE.


We look forward to working together again in 2022 and beyond.

Volunteer Spotlight: Daniel Schack

Daniel Schack is the Vice President of Sales Operations for Rico Industries, a manufacturer of licensed wholesale gift and novelty promotional products, a Northfield Township Trustee, and he is Vice President of Am Yisrael Conservative Congregation. He lives in Northbrook with his wife Mara Silver-Schack, a District 28 school board member, and their three children.


In 2019 the Democrats of Northfield Township honored the Clinic at their fall fundraiser. Listening to the presentations, Daniel was inspired and wanted to learn more. As soon as the luncheon ended, he sought out Executive Director Susan Shulman and expressed his interest at furthering the Clinic’s mission through advocacy. The timing was perfect as the Clinic had just launched the Advocacy Committee with goals of monitoring and providing input into local and statewide legislation, policy and funding that enhance opportunities for those in need of access to justice in the areas of domestic violence, housing, and immigration in north suburban Cook County and throughout Lake County. Daniel took the lead from the moment he joined the committee. He says, “the Clinic’s mission really spoke to me, and I’ve been so impressed with the professionalism and dedication of everyone I’ve worked with at NSLAC and love to help any way I can.”


Daniel has furthered relationships and continues to develop new connections for the Clinic with policymakers and partners that work to improve the safety and livelihood of those we serve. The Clinic is so thankful for the commitment Daniel has made to all of us.

Free Legal Clinic for Older Adults on September 24, 2021 at the North Shore Senior Center

The Health Care Power of Attorney Document

Why Older Adults Need It

New Trier Township, the North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic, and the North Shore Senior Center are offering a free legal clinic for older adults on September 24, 2021, at the North Shore Senior Center, 161 Northfield Road in Northfield from 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM.

Volunteer attorneys will be on-site to assist participants with the preparation of a POA document and authenticate it with free notary public service.

Appointments are limited, please reserve your time via email or phone (847) 737-4042.


Eviction Prevention: Updates on the Moratorium, Eviction, and Rental Assistance Q&A – August 9 (Spanish) and August 11 (English)

Eviction Prevention: Updates on the Moratorium, Eviction, and Rental Assistance Q&A – August 9 (Spanish) and August 11 (English)

As the Eviction Moratorium comes to an end, the North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic is encouraging rental tenants to know their rights. Governor Pritzker  issued an executive order on July 23, 2021, that allows landlords to ask a court to evict both unprotected and protected tenants starting on August 1, 2021. Eviction orders will be allowed to be enforced after August 31, 2021.


The North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic will be hosting presentations with Q&A regarding the Moratorium, the eviction process, and remaining rental assistance programs. Attorneys will be present to answer any legal questions.


We will host the sessions in Spanish and in English. We invite guests to join us via Ring Central.



Oportunidad especial - Prevención de desalojo: Actualizaciones sobre la moratoria, el desalojo y la asistencia para el alquiler Q&A - 9 de agosto a las 5 p.m.


A medida que finaliza la Moratoria de desalojo, se les recomienda a los inquilinos a informarse sobre cómo preparar y protegerse contra el desalojo. El gobernador Pritzker planea emitir una orden ejecutiva el 23 de julio que permitirá a los propietarios solicitar a un tribunal que desaloje tanto a los inquilinos desprotegidos como a los protegidos a partir del 1 de agosto. Después del 31 de agosto, se podrán hacerse cumplir las órdenes de desalojo.


La Clínica de Asistencia Legal North Suburban ofrecerá una presentación y una sesión de preguntas y respuestas cubriendo temas como la Moratoria, el proceso de desalojo y los programas restantes de asistencia para el alquiler. Los invitamos unirse a nosotros a través de Ring Central el lunes 9 de agosto de 2021 a las 5 p.m. para obtener más información sobre estos temas. La abogada Crystal Ochoa estará presente para responder cualquier pregunta legal. Los invitados pueden acceder a la reunión siguiendo este enlace:


Durante esta presentación, cubriremos detalles sobre la eliminación gradual de la Moratoria de Desalojo, el proceso de desalojo y los programas de asistencia para el alquiler que aún están tomando aplicaciones. Únase a nosotros para una presentación y una sesión de preguntas y respuestas con una abogada acompañante.

Monthly Legal Aid Clinics Begin at New Trier Township

The North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic (the Clinic) will offer monthly, free legal aid clinics to low-income individuals and families beginning July 21, 2021. Clinics are virtual but individuals have the option to access meetings on Township computers at New Trier Township Hall located at 739 Elm Street in Winnetka.  Legal aid counselors will offer free, confidential services to clients in need of help with domestic violence, housing, and immigration matters from 10:00 a.m. until noon, the third Wednesday of each month. Appointments are required and can be made via SignUpGenius at or call the Township at (847) 446-8202 or the Clinic at (847) 737-4042.

“Recognizing the need to provide critical legal services where people live, we began a partnership with the Clinic in 2019 by offering immigration services and quickly expanded to offer domestic violence services. When the pandemic began, we immediately pivoted to virtual appointments to encourage legal professionals and those in need to make safety a priority by choosing to meet remotely whenever possible,” stated Township Supervisor Gail Eisenberg. “We know that accessible legal resources are the difference between surviving and thriving, especially as we emerge from the pandemic. We are pleased to bring back regularly scheduled clinics in a safe and accessible way while expanding them to include housing legal services, which is particularly important at a time when the eviction moratorium is expected to be phased out.”

“We are grateful to New Trier Township for their forward thinking, partnership, and deep understanding of the community that they serve. Working together, we can make equal justice under the law more than a lofty goal. We make it a reality,” stated Executive Director Susan Shulman.

For more information about New Trier Township visit

New Trier Township’s mission is to provide leadership, advocacy and resources to benefit the physical, mental and social well being of Township residents. Established in 1850, New Trier Township government serves the 56,000 residents in the villages of Glencoe, Kenilworth, Wilmette and Winnetka, plus portions of Glenview and Northfield. The Township Office is located at 739 Elm Street in Winnetka or on-line at

NSLAC Policy on Meeting with Clients and Visitors in the Office (as of 7/1/2021)

Until further notice, North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic (the Clinic) will not hold in-person intakes/consultations with clients in the office—unless the situation requires it. Any in-person meetings will be held on a case-by-case basis and will be pre-approved/arranged.

  • Visiting the Clinic in-person – visitors/clients coming to the office will be asked to provide vaccination proof before the visit if possible. People are considered fully vaccinated when they meet the following conditions: they are 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series (such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines), or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine).
  • Walk-ins will be asked to show their vaccination card at the entrance to the office.
  • In cases when clients/visitors cannot validate their vaccination status, temperature will be taken at the entrance and wearing masks will be required.
  • NSLAC will keep a log of those entering the office for contact tracing purposes. The list will remain confidential and will not be shared.
  • To ensure staff safety, clients/visitors will be allowed to enter only one part of the office designated for meetings with clients/outside guests. Guests will not be allowed to move beyond the designated meetings area into the staff office area.
  • Executive Director will have discretion to make exceptions to this policy, based on the circumstances.