DACA 10th Anniversary- NSLAC Media Appearance

Dreamers, their families, and the advocates concerned for their protection are grateful for DACA, but they are concerned for their future in the US. NSLAC Staff Attorney Irma Wilson joined WTTW – Chicago PBS for an important conversation about DACA. Read more about this update here.

The North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic continues to strongly urge DACA recipients and DACA-eligible individuals to contact us immediately for a full legal screening. We provide free legal assistance to any and all individuals, regardless of where they live or work, who need assistance in renewing their DACA application.
For questions about DACA, please contact info@NSLegalAid.org or 847-737-4042

Statement on President Trump’s Proposed Executive Order Suspending Immigration

Highland Park, IL – April 21, 2020 – The North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic (the Clinic) stands in support of the immigrant community and has issued the following statement with regard to the recent proposed Presidential executive order related to immigration policy:

“We are disappointed to learn about President Trump’s proposed executive order to halt immigration during the COVID-19 crisis. An estimated* 6 million immigrant workers (a figure that does not take into account legal status) are in jobs on the front lines of coronavirus response, while another 6 million are in industries hardest hit by the pandemic. In normal times, undocumented labor is a pillar of the U.S. economy. These are our essential workers and our neighbors.

It is unclear how the White House will suspend immigration, how long a suspension could last, or how this will impact individuals who already hold green cards and are in the process of becoming U.S. citizens. The North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic will continue to monitor the situation and do whatever we can to assist individuals and families in need of legal assistance during this already difficult time.”

Healthcare Proclamation

Beginning November 3, 2019, individuals seeking immigrant visas abroad will be denied if they do not have health insurance or cannot prove that they will be able to pay for health insurance in the United States within 30 days of entry. This proclamation, which was announced on October 3, 2019, will impact both individuals who have lived in the U.S. but must attend their immigrant visa interview abroad (for consular processing) and individuals who have never entered the United States. This new restriction is separate from the public charge rule (see this page for information and updates on the public charge rule).

Certain immigrants are exempt from this new healthcare proclamation, including: anyone issued a visa prior to the effective date (Nov. 3, 2019), Lawful Permanent Residents returning after a long absence, unmarried children and adoptees of U.S. citizens, people seeking Iraq/Afghani Special Immigrant visas, children under age 18, (unless accompanying parents subject to the new healthcare proclamation), people whose entry would advance law enforcement objectives or would be in the national interest, and parents of adult U.S. citizens if they can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the consular officer that their health care will not impose a substantial burden on the U.S. health care system.

Please contact the Clinic with any questions regarding this healthcare proclamation or any questions about applying for an immigrant visa.

Below are the Clinic’s flyers about changes to public charge and what they mean for you (created 10/1/2019).