The mission of the North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic (NSLAC) is to provide accessible, quality pro bono legal services in the areas of immigration, domestic violence, and housing to give those in need of access to justice the opportunity to live productive and secure lives.
NSLAC is a 5-year-old dynamic nonprofit with a collaborative culture and the goal of becoming the model legal aid organization focused on suburban communities.
The Staff Attorney who joins our Immigration Law Practice team will be expected to assume the following responsibilities:
- Provide direct representation on complex cases (Asylum, U Visa, VAWA, Removal Defense, SIJS);
- Collaborate with and provide legal advice to pro bono attorneys and DOJ accredited representatives on their immigration law caseload;
- Work with Director of Immigration Law Practice on developing and maintaining training standards and materials for all immigration staff;
- Monitor changes to immigration law, regulations and policy. Prepare for significant changes in immigration law and their impact on client services;
- Represent NSLAC at community functions, and at other events as requested;
- Conduct Know Your Rights presentations and Emergency Toolkit (Action Plan) workshops;
- Supervise intakes at off-site Immigration Clinics at NSLAC’s partnering suburban organizations;
- Perform other responsibilities needed to ensure NSLAC team’s success.
- J.D. degree required;
- 5 years in an immigration law practice, including experience with SIJS, Asylum and deportation defense;
- Immigration Court experience;
- Fluency in second language strongly preferred;
- A demonstrated team-player with exemplary interpersonal skills in collaborating and communicating with others;
- Ability to succeed in a fast-paced nonprofit start-up environment.
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience. Health insurance provided.
Interested candidates should submit their resume with the cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org