As dehumanizing and divisive immigration policy and rhetoric proliferates, we continue to stand with our immigrant neighbors, friends, and family--ensuring that they have legal recourse at a time when their livelihoods and right to remain in the United States, often with their loved ones, are under siege.

The clinic also provides pro bono housing and domestic violence services.

Services Offered

Family-Based Immigrant Visa Petitions for Spouses, Children, Parents and Siblings

Preparing applications for the relatives of U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents to immigrate to the United States

Non-Immigrant Visa Petitions (Visitor)

Preparing applications for individuals intending to enter the U.S. for a short period of time as a tourist/visitor

Consular Processing

Providing legal assistance to individuals who will attend their immigrant visa interviews in their country of origin


Assisting eligible individuals apply to become naturalized citizens of the United States

Green Card Renewals

Preparing the necessary documents to renew Lawful Permanent Residence (“Green”) cards

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Renewals

Providing legal assistance to individuals applying for DACA status (and DACA-based work permits)

Temporary Protected Status

Aiding eligible individuals with maintaining proper documentation for TPS

Employment Authorization Renewals

Assisting eligible individuals (i.e. DACA recipients) to renew their work permits

Waivers (Unlawful Presence, Fraud and Misrepresentation, Alien Smuggling)

Preparing waivers for certain prior inadmissible actions for individuals applying for lawful status


Providing legal assistance to individuals applying for visas based on being a victim of a crime (limited to certain serious crimes) and assisting law enforcement with the investigation


Providing legal assistance to individuals applying for visas based on being a victim of trafficking

Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS)

Providing legal assistance to individuals applying for lawful status because they need the protection of a juvenile court after having been abused, abandoned, or neglected by a parent


Providing legal assistance to individuals applying for lawful status based on fear of persecution if they return to their country of origin

Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Self Petitioners

Providing legal assistance to individuals applying for lawful status based on being the victim of battery or extreme cruelty committed by a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent resident spouse/former spouse, parent (or U.S. Citizen Child)

Petition to Remove Conditions (Joint and Waiver)

Preparing applications for individuals with conditional residency (based on marriage or employment) to remove conditions and receive lawful permanent residence status

Freedom of Information Act Requests (USCIS, CBP, EOIR, DOS)

Conducting inquiries to obtain records with U.S. immigration agencies

Removal/Deportation Defense

Providing written and oral representation in front of an immigration court judge for individuals in removal or deportation proceedings

Schedule a Consultation

Frequently Asked Questions

My partner or parent is controlling. Can you help me without getting them involved?

Absolutely. With immigration and domestic violence attorneys on staff, we can confidently and securely assist you. If your partner or parent has access to your phone/email, you can come to the clinic in person at 491 Laurel Ave, Highland Park.

Do you handle criminal defense cases?

We do not handle criminal defense cases.

How do you determine if I am eligible for legal help?

To be eligible for our assistance, you must live in Lake or suburban Cook County. However, based on capacity, we can take cases outside of our service areas on a case-by-case basis. Your income must be at or below 250% of the poverty guidelines. NSLAC may decline to represent those who have committed violent crimes. Please contact NSLAC for more information. After an immigration screening and intake, we will inform you if we can assist you with your case.

What if I don’t live in your service area? What if I earn too much to qualify for your services?

If you are ineligible for our services, we would be happy to refer you to one of our trusted partner organizations.

How do I apply for services with NSLAC?

All calls for assistance are confidential and accepted by telephone at (847) 737-4042 or by email at Phones are answered during business hours.

Is there a charge for the services I receive?

No, our representation is pro bono.

Do you cover court and other fees?

No. However, we can assist eligible clients in applying for a fee waiver, if applicable.

What is a DOJ accredited representative?

The Department of Justice certifies some non-attorneys to assist clients in immigration matters. These representatives have completed extensive coursework and trainings to ensure they are well-equipped to assist you in your immigration legal matters.

Why is an attorney needed to help fill out immigration forms?

Immigration law is complicated and ever-changing. Only DOJ accredited representatives and attorneys have the training and resources to properly advise on immigration law. Others who try to assist in immigration matters are engaging in the unauthorized practice of law, and they may cause financial hardship and devastating immigration consequences.

What will happen if immigration law or policy changes?

We are notified of immigration law and policy changes, and we will inform you of how any new decisions might affect your case. At NSLAC, we work diligently to stay up to date with policy and procedure changes. However, due to the constant and quick changes to immigration laws, policies and procedures, we cannot guarantee an outcome on a case.

What are the processing times for my case?

Though case processing times can vary, the most updated information can be found on the USCIS website, found here

Is the NSLAC affiliated with the US government or the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)?

We are a non-profit funded by generous funders and supporters in our community. We are not affiliated with the U.S. government or USCIS.