Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month
February is Teen Violence Dating Awareness Month, and the Clinic is dedicated to bringing awareness to this very prevalent issue. Teen dating violence is domestic violence. Teen dating violence is a pattern of behavior that includes physical, emotional, verbal, and/or sexual abuse by one person in an intimate relationship to exert power and control over another. Relationship violence can occur at school — in the hall, in the classroom, in the parking lot, on the bus or in a car, at after-school activities, at a student’s workplace, at a school dance, or at a student’s home. In teenage dating relationships, the abuse is often public with peers witnessing the abuse; however, the abuse can also occur in private.
It is fitting to think of February as a month of love, but what most may not realize is that it is also Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month. It is important to educate teens about what is and is not a healthy relationship.
Some signs to watch for include:
- Intensity - a relationship that develops extremely fast
- Control or jealousy
- Changes in Dress
- Drastic behavior changes
- Constant communication with significant other
- Ramifications for not responding in a timely manner
Help to raise awareness about teen dating violence and stop the abuse before it begins. This month we come together to raise awareness through advocacy and education to stop abuse before it starts. Need to know how to talk to your teen? Got questions of your own? Be in touch with the Clinic at info@NSLegalAid.org or 847 737 4042. All inquiries are strictly confidential. Love shouldn't hurt.
Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month Initiatives
The Clinic has partnered with Judy's Pizza for the month of February. Special thanks to the North Suburban Legal Aid Clinic Regional Student Leadership Board for leading these special events in partnership with Judy’s!
- Round Up in February! - Judy’s Pizza will be asking guests to “round up” on their purchases for the whole month of February for proceeds to benefit the Clinic.
- Dine and Donate on February 5th! - Judy’s Pizza will be donating 20% of sales made on Saturday, February 5th to the Clinic.
- Cooking Demo to Save Lives on February 10th! - Special cooking demonstration on February 10th at 11am with guest chefs from Judy’s pizza. The Clinic hosts free virtual cooking demonstrations with professional chefs on the second Thursday of every month. The Clinic invites anyone with questions about domestic violence to ask those questions to Clinic attorneys anonymously in the chat. The cooking demonstrations include a live chat, via RingCentral. No domestic violence content will be shown on the video. Guests can log on anonymously using an alias throughout the hour. No registration is required. Link: https://meetings.ringcentral.com/j/1489481392.
We are so thankful for our friends over at Judy’s Pizza in Highland Park (https://www.judyspizza.com/). Please show your support to the Clinic by supporting Judy’s in February!